Tuesday 24 April 2012

Dress Shirt Pillow Tutorial

This is one of the projects off my UFO list that I had finally finished ... so here it is ...


1. Start with a dress shirt, mine was a thrift store find has some neat stitching on the front.  Lay it out flat and trim the sleeves and collar off.






I also cut up the side seams, so I have a single layer piece of  "fabric".  I cut the back of the shirt from the sleeves and collar also







2. Now to cut your square, I cut one out of paper just to make life easier but you don't have to.  I lined up my front and back pieces where I wanted the and pinned my template to the pieces, then cut it out.





3.  I made a snazzy boarder with some of the other pieces of the shirt to trim it with, but you could use any pre-made trim you like, a solid colour pipping would look really sharp with a pin-strip shirt. 




4. Attach your trim of choice to the right side of your pillow, making sure that it lies to the inside. (sorry I forgot to take a pic of this step)

5. You are now ready to sew around the out side of your cover.  You don't need to worry about leaving an opening because your shirt buttons will act as the opening for stuffing you pillow in.



6. trim your seam allowances so they are nice and neat, and turn your pillow case the right way out.








7.  Here's the fun part! Stuff you pillow through the opening.  This tends to take a lot of fiddling to get it into the corners and nice and flat.






still working on it .... all most there ....eventually it will go in.. right. 

When it's in and you are happy with it do up the buttons and throw it on your couch or bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment