Thursday 26 April 2012

New Curtains





Well A few days ago I decided that I need some new curtains for my sliding door in my kitchen.  Of course out come my stash of old bed sheets... have I mentioned we love bed sheets round here, useful things those.  Any ways I found a lovely not to bright yellow gingham sheet that was left over from a previous project, and just so happened to all ready have an opening at one end.  So I rummaged through my box o' bits n' pieces for some thing to use/attach for a curtain rod.  Well I found a piece of wire for lack of a better word, its a like a spring wrapped in plastic.  It uses hook and eyes to attach to the wall. (yes I still need to paint my kitchen) really neat stuff pretty cheep for a package it too. So up it went shoved the "wire"  through the opening in the sheet (I split it in half to make it more curtain like) and put the eyes on the hooks and steeped back.  It looked like a curtain except that it's 18 inches to short (insert head slap here!)  So having other things to be doing I left them up in all there shorted glory.... well yesterday I came across some blue and white stripe..hhmm  the wheels turn ..  I pinned the little scrap of it to the bottom ... census says it looks pretty good, now where did I hide the big piece.  After a little digging around I found it. 


I tore two strips off big enough to accommodate seam allowances and hems,  and finished one edge to line up with the finished edge of the sheet, and sewed it onto the bottom.  I then made some big bias tape for the unfinished edge.  There is a good tutorial here.  

  So I now have the blue stripes attached to my curtain, and it looks good, now I just have to add the homemade bias tape to the unfinished sides and voila one bed sheet turned curtain!

I'll post pics of the finished curtain tomorrow after I  get that bias tape on.

No comments:

Post a Comment