Wednesday 30 May 2012

Rag Rugs

Ok so last week will I was joy ridding through Pintrest I came across a post for a rag rug, to witch I've been want to make for a while now.  But I'm not particularly motivated to do the traditional braided rug, just to much effort then I wanted to put forth. so I've been on the look out for alternatives, well I found one over at Sugar Bee Crafts.  Now I warn you, I am not the read the instructions kinda gal, so I didn't exactly read it, just sorta skimmed over the pictures. I have enough crochet skills to make basic stitches and on a good day a circle.



So as I said before we love sheets around here (very useful things), so now I had a mission and needed to recruit some "helpers" (I use this term very loosely), I got to work .... I cleaned out my linen closet.  We found some sheets in there I couldn't even identify as mine ... any ways we pulled out the ones that where see through, had no elastic left, or just weren't being used.


  
I found lots of helpers for the next part, for some reason you can always find people to "break" stuff.  we got to making our "yarn" we tore 1" - 1 1/2" strips from our sheets, and rolled them in to balls.





Then I had a bit of a problem finding the giant crochet hooks, I did find them a few days latter at our local fabric shop for a couple of bucks.







This method works up really quickly, It took me and my poor crochet skills about an hour to get the middle done (about a foot to foot and half worth of rug).  Sweet I love instant gratification :)
I can easily get one done in a day in my spare time (ha ha spare time :)



 
 So as it worked out that 3 double/Queen size sheets will get you about a 3 foot round rug, give or take.  I've gotten a few comments on them, my purple and blue one I had made for myself as already been stolen by my son for his room. and the yellow and blue one matches my new curtains, you can see them here and here.













No comments:

Post a Comment