Tuesday 29 May 2012

Pimp my ... Cart ??

   
Well I’m feeling a little crafty again, and with the Wing Ding (community garage sale) coming up I thought it was time to spruce up my shopping cart.  The big problem I’ve always had with these carts is that the holes are so big you lose you bag through them, and well lets face it how snazzy is a cardboard box in the bottom (if you can find  one to fit).  So here is the game plan … I ‘m going to use some old jeans to make a liner.
So first things first … take measurements.  My cart is about 20 inches tall, 12 inches deep, and 16 inches wide.  I drew a little diagram with my measurements on it so I would remember what number went where.
IMG_3246
IMG_3250














figure out how much fabric we are going to need (how many pant legs).  I used one smaller pant leg for the bottom, and dug up some lager pant legs for the sides.  I gave my self a 1/2 inch for my seam allowance (center picture).  And the picture on the end is Eddie trying to “help”, look at that face  :) .
 IMG_3254 IMG_3252
IMG_3258 
I decided to use some bias tape to finish the raw edges and for a little pop of colour, and some twill tape to use as ties to hold it up in the cart.  I did the bias tape on the sides first and then did the top and bottom to keep it neat.  And here is Eddie “helping” again. 
IMG_3257IMG_3281IMG_3286 

Here’s the test run to make sure it fit and that the ties were in the right places, so far I’m happy with how it’s looking.
IMG_3295

I made a top flap to hide every thing inside the cart, and decided  not to add any pockets for now, although I may change my mind but for now I’m going to leave it the way it is. I added a tie to the center of the flap so I can tie it down if I want/need too.
Here’s the picture before the flap was attached and all the bias tape done.
IMG_3302

and  After, the finished bag, ain’t she purdy.
IMG_3306

No comments:

Post a Comment