Tuesday 15 May 2012

The Faux Feather Pillow


IMG_3210Well  I wanted to make some throw pillows but I have no “fluff” to stuff them with, so the creative wheels turn. I have a bag of snippets that was getting quite full, it’s been hanging next to my sewing machine for about a month now.  Usually I would throw it out when the bag was full, but this time I thought I would use it to stuff my pillows.  Will surfing the net I came across a tutorial for how to make stuffing from Belrossa’s Blog. Now having reed through the post to find she ran her bit through the blender.  /Now I was forbid running any thing that is not food through my blender, I just cut my bits into really small little bits (some thing the little people could do to, they like to help when it involves taking things apart.)  


IMG_3202
IMG_3203
So here is a picture of my tub o’bits.  Now to contain my bits and pieces I used an old t-shirt as the pillow form.  All I did was cut a square (mine was about 14in. sq.) and sew three sides together.  After the case was about 2/3 full I sewed up the last side to keep all the '”fluff” in.


Now for the pillow cover, I used some bits and pieces from some button up shirts that where kicking around.  I used two short sleeves from one shirt as the back, I overlapped the finished edges so I would have a place to slide the pillow into the cover.  Then I pieced together some other pieces to make the front.
 IMG_3205 IMG_3207 IMG_3204
IMG_3209
IMG_3211
The next thing I did was to put my Backing piece over the front pieces with right sides together, and stitched all the way around. I then trimmed all the excess of the edges and prettied it up and turned it right side out.  Now your ready to slide you pillow form into its cover and voila a Faux feather pillow.  I find that the squish of the snippet fluff mimics a feather pillow with out the pointy hard feather bits poking you in the head.



No comments:

Post a Comment