Monday 14 May 2012

DIY Ironing Table


IMG_3193So I’ve been seeing these little ironing tables made from the cheep wood TV trays and was thinking that I would really like to make one to put beside my sewing machine and the more i thought about it the more the gears started to turn … staring at this old stand that was still in good shape. I figured if they can cover a TV tray I could cover my stand.  There is a nice tutorial for the TV tray ironing table here.  The really nice thing about covering the top of this stand is that it’s on castors so I can roll it around the room with out disturbing what’s on it.


IMG_3180

I started with the cheepy microwave stand you’d find at Wal-Mart, or any other department store.  I had a plain white one kicking around from my apartment days  sigh …. Very dusty but I wiped it down before I put the top on.




IMG_3181

I started with an old towel for a little squish to my board, I put a staple in the center of one end with my handy dandy staple gun, pull it taught non the opposite end and droop in another staple. I only put a few in each side for now.




IMG_3184

I then put on two layers of Cotton batting.  I would have used the heat resistant kind if I had any kicking around, but the plain stuff will do.  Again I dropped a few staples in each side keeping the material taught.


IMG_3186

Next is the pretty fabric for the top, I used a medium weight cotton for mine.  So again keeping the fabric taught staple along the sides, leave enough room to fold the corners in.  When you get to the corner you can cut away the extra batting from  the corner and neatly fold the fabric around the corner.  See horrible pic below.

 IMG_3187IMG_3196
Here is a shot of my messy staple job but no one will see it hidden underneath, if I wanted to get fancy I could cover it with some felt but like I said, no one should see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment