Tuesday 22 May 2012

Home Made Pasta Sauce


IMG_3241So this is the first time I’ve made pasta sauce, but with 20 pounds of tomatoes in my freezer from last fall its time they got sauced.  As mentioned before I’m not one for instructions…. so I got out 2 bags of frozen tomatoes (theses are the large ones each bag holds about 4 lbs).  Now I removed the skins from my tomatoes, which is really easy seeing that they are frozen, all you have to do is let them sit in warm water for about a minute cut your top off and the tomato will pop right out.  I had to let my tomatoes thaw a bit, my pour food processer couldn’t keep up with them frozen solid.  So when they were a little less frozen I sent them for a whirl, I made it pretty smooth the kids don’t like there food chunky. I also snuck in 2 cups of zucchini, some onion, a couple cloves of garlic, and a couple good sized carrots.  What they don’t know wont IMG_3237hurt them :)  Now into the pot it goes! add what ever spices you like to taste, I added thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, pepper, and a little bit of red pepper flakes for a little kick, I also added a little brown sugar to sweeten it up a bit.  I let it simmer on medium/low for almost 2 hours, this is how long it took for all the naturally occurring water in the tomatoes to evaporate off.  Don't forget to stir often you really don’t want to burn it.  I left my sauce quite acidic just for the sake that I am canning it, when I go to use it I will add more sugar.  So when I was happy with it I packed it in my clean hot jars, leaving 1/2 an inch head space,(don’t forget to remove the air bubbles and clean the tops of the jars) put the lids on and returned the jars to the boiling water in my canning pot.  They need to boil for 35 – 40 minutes. For this batch I managed to fill 5 - 500mL  jars.  Well the jars IMG_3230are bubbling away do up you labels, don’t forget to add the date it was made, or it may turn into one of the mystery jars in the back of the cupboard. 
Now when it comes to canning there are a few rules you must follow from the recipe the amount of acid and the length of time to process in the water bath. (For the amount of tomatoes I used I added a 1/4 cup of lemon juice) If you’re new to canning I would would recommend following a recipe / canning instructions.  There are tons of good books out there, and you can borrow most of them from the library for free :) I own the  Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda Amendt. And Google, I love Google
  
 IMG_3238
IMG_3240

No comments:

Post a Comment